This simple guideline below will show how to make Bun Cha – grilled pork with vermicelli noodle, the truly Hanoian dish.
- 400g lean and fat pork (or lower part of pork shoulder)
- 600g pork shoulder
- 200g green papaya
- 1000g charcoal
- 100g carrot
- 20g dried shallot, minced
- 1000g rice vermicelli
To tastes: Garlic, chili, lemon, sugar, fish sauce, seasoning (which consists largely of salt and MSG), caramel sauce, vinegar, coriander, fresh herbs, salad greens, peppers, spring onion.
(Read More: Hanoi Food Tour on Motorbike)
- Wash and mince pork shoulder, mix with the minced shallot, pepper, seasoning, fish sauce; shape the mixture into balls about the size of a litchi; slightly press each ball into a flat patty.
- Wash and slice lean and fat pork; mix with the minced shallot, pepper, caramel sauce, fish sauce.
- Remove peel from green papaya and carrot; cut into slices (or carve into flower shape); sprinkle with salt, wash well. Add fish sauce, vinegar, minced chilli, minced garlic and sugar.
- Mix fish sauce with vinegar (or lemon), minced chilli, minced garlic, sugar to make dipping sauce; put the sauce into bowls.
- Wash salad greens, fresh herbs, coriander; drain and put on a plate.
- Grill the pork over until browned; put on a plate.
- Put rice vermicelli noodle into a bowl of sauce; serve with grilled meat, pickled papaya and carrot, and mixed vegetables.