This simple guideline below will show you how to make Bun Thang – vermicelli and chicken soup in an easy way. Bun thang is one of culinary specialties of Hanoians.
- 1000g pig marrow bones
- 2 chicken eggs
- 50g dried shrimp, washed
- 1 salted duck egg
- 100g lean pork paste
- 50g Chinese sausage
- 3000ml cold water
- 1000g rice vermicelli
- 250g chicken (breast with bone intact)
- 250g duck (breast with bone intact)
- 100g fresh shrimp head (or dried cuttlefish)
- 1 dried shallot, charred and slightly crushed
- 1 piece ginger, charred and slightly crushed
- 2 – 3 Sipuncula (peanut worm), dried
To taste: Fish sauce, belostomatidae essence, smartweed, lemon, chili, shrimp paste, dried turnip, spring onion.
(Read More: How To Make Pho – Noodle Soup With Beef)
- Dried the Sipuncula. Char the dried shallot and ginger.
- Wash and boil pig marrow bones in a stockpot; quickly scrub the stockpot clean; strike the bones with a hammer to break them partway and return to the pot. Put the shallot, ginger, Sipuncula, shrimp head (or dried cuttlefish) into the pot; pour in water, and bring to boil to make broth. Before serving, season the broth to taste.
- Put chicken and duck breasts into the stockpot. When cocked, remove from the pot and let cool; shred the chicken and duck, set aside, return the bones to the stockpot.
- Dip the dried shrimp in the stock, then remove and pound, put pounded shrimp into the pan and roast until fluffy (this substance called pemmican)
- Beat the eggs to make very thin omelet and cut in long strips. Boil salted duck egg; discard egg white; cut egg yolk into thin slices.
- Cut lean pork paste into long, thin strips. Soak dried turnip in water until soft; then dip in fish sauce. Wash and finely chop smartweed. Fry and slice Chinese sausage.
- Pour boiling water on rice vermicelli, then drain. Place smartweed on top and cover with a portion of chicken., duck, omelet, pork paste, and fluffy pemmican; put a slice of egg yolk in the middle of each bowl, ladle boiling broth into bowl.
- Serve soup hot with fish sauce (mixed with belostomatidae essence), shrimp paste, lemon juice, chili and pickled turnip.