This simple guideline below will show how to make Pho Ga – noodle soup with chicken in a very easy way.
- 400g chicken thigh (of hen or gelded cock)
- 1 chicken neck, 2 chicken wings, 2 chicken legs
- 1000g pig bones
- 1 piece ginger, charred
- 1 dried shallot, charred
- 50g dried shrimp, washed
- 1000g rice noodles
- 3000ml cold water
To tastes: Spring onion, coriander, fresh herbs, lemon leaves, fish sauce, seasoning (which consists largely of salt and MSG), lemon, chili and vinegar.
- Wash and parboil pig bones in a stockpot; quickly scrub the stockpot clean; wash the bones again; return the bones to the pot; pour in water, and simmer.
- Boil chicken neck, wings, legs and thigh in water to make stock. When cooked, remove the meat from the stock and let cool; cut the meat off the bone and shred across the grain. Set aside.
- Beat the dried shallot and ginger and add to pig stock along with the dried shrimp. Simmer until fat rises to the top and decant the stock into another pot. Before serving, mix the pig stock with the strained chicken stock; add fish sauce and seasoning.
- Wash and finely chop the green part if spring onion, coriander, fresh herbs; wash and cut lemon leaves into long, thin strips. Cut the white part of spring onion into 10cm-long pieces, scald, and set aside.
- Pour boiling water on rice noodles, stirring, then drain; divide noodles evenly among 4 large bowls. On top of the noodles, place chicken, herbs, coriander, spring onion, and the white part of spring onion, strips of lemon leaves; ladle boiling broth into bowls, serve hot. Add lemon, vinegar and chili to taste.