This simple guideline below will show you how to make meatball on a skewer – a famous Hue dish, in an easy way.
- 300g uncooked pork paste
- 50g pig’s nape fat
- 100g skin of pork
- 1 spoon of sugar
- 1 spoon of powdered grilled rice
- 1 bulb of garlic, crushed
- 1 carambola
- 1 unripe banana, peeled and sliced
- 10 rice papers
- To taste: Fresh herbs, dipping sauce, salt, pepper, spring onion.
- Blanch pig’s nape fat and skin of pork; cut into long, thin strips; mix the shallot and garlic with sugar; combine everything with uncooked pork paste, pepper, powdered grilled rice and blend well; shape the mixture into large balls and thread each ball on to a skewer; grill over a charcoal fire until golden.
- Remove the edge of carambola; wash slices of carambola and banana in slightly saline water; wash and soak fresh herbs in slightly saline water and drain; scald the green part of spring onion and drain.
- Place a meatball on a skewer, a slice of carambola and banana, and fresh herbs on a rice paper; roll up and use scaled onion to tie round.
To make dipping sauce:
Ingredients: 100g sweet soya sauce; 50g liver (chicken or pig), minced; ¼ tablespoon of powdered red pepper; 1 -spoon of roasted sesame seed; 150ml broth; 1 tablespoon of sugar; 1 clove of dried shallot, finely chopped; 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped; 2 tablespoons of roasted peanuts, slightly crushed; cooking oil.
Prepare: Heat cooking oil and fry the shallot and garlic until fragrant; add liver, powdered red pepper and sugar and stir-fry; pour in soya sauce and stir-fry for some minutes before adding the broth and bring to boil; when soya sauce thickens, season and return to boil; remove from heat; ladle into small bowls; sprinkle with sesame seeds and peanuts.0